MONTCLAIR, N.J. – Nashville SC took an early lead over home side New York Red Bulls II, with Daniel Ríos scoring on a counter-attack – and defender error – in the 21st minute. However, the road result was diminished in the 55th, when a second-phase play from a Red Bulls corner kick was crossed back against the face of goal and nodded home by striker Brian White.
Ultimately, a 1-1 draw is not the worst result in the world – particularly against a USL team that historically has one of the better home-field advantages in the league – but there will still be disappointment in the final count.
Unlike that past couple games, the Boys in Gold did not dominate possession, and in fact the high-pressing Baby Bulls controlled 60.8% of the ball. However, the teams were level with three shots on goal apiece, and it was one barely off-target that will break Nashville hearts. Matt LaGrassa’s 50th-minute shot at the end of a sequence of heavy pressure from Nashville struck the post and ricocheted back out. His cross from a dangerous position shortly thereafter was cleared, and Nashville didn’t trouble New York Red Bulls II in a significant way until the waning minutes of the game.
Fortunately, what could have been a serious injury situation for the Boys in Gold appears to be better than the worst-case scenario: midfielder Vinnie Vermeer left with an ankle injury in the first half, and his status going forward is in question. However, strikers Daniel Ríos and Cameron Lancaster – who took blows to the back and head, respectively – should be fine going forward.
A pair of set pieces from just outside the New York penalty area couldn’t find a winner, and the game finished with the teams splitting points. Nashville’s record is evened up at 1-1-1 on the year, with the Boys in Gold having a bye week before heading to Ottawa to take on the Fury April 6.
- 20′ NSH Yellow card – 8 Vinnie Vermeer (foul)
- 21′ NSH GOAL – 14 Daniel Ríos (left-footed) unassisted.
- 29′ NSH Substitution – On 30 Bolu Akinyode, off 8 Vinnie Vermeer (injury)
- 45’+1 NY Yellow card – 72 Edgardo Rito (foul)
- 45’+3 Half time
- 55′ NY GOAL – 42 Brian White (headed), assisted by 11 Marcus Epps (cross)
- 64′ NY Substitution – On 74 Tom Barlow, off 42 Brian White
- 65′ NSH Substitution – On 19 Alan Winn, off 10 Lebo Moloto
- 71′ NY Substitution – On 17 Ben Mines, off 11 Marcus Epps
- 75′ NSH Yellow card – 17 Michael Reed (foul)
- 76′ NSH Substitution – On 9 Cameron Lancaster, off 14 Daniel Ríos
- 78′ NY Yellow card – 35 Jordan Scarlett (foul)
- 81′ NSH Yellow card – 5 Liam Doyle (foul)
- 82′ NY Substitution – On 39 Sebastian Elney, off 7 Derrick Etienne