NASHVILLE – An exciting first half saw Nashville throw pressure upon pressure at the goal of Charlotte Independence, but only score once. The second was a different story, with the Independence reasonably content to settle for a draw after reaching halftime level at 1-1, and neither team could find the difference-maker.
Dominic Oduro scored for Charlotte in the 15th minute, and Lebo Moloto responded by poking home a rebound in the 23rd, and that was all the scoring in a disappointing home result for NSC.
Nashville launched nine shots in the second half – but only one on goal, a headed effort by Justin Davis that was easily saved by Charlotte keeper Curtis Anderson. A handful of substitutions, including fan favorite Ropapa Mensah, along with winger Darnell King and target striker Tucker Hume, couldn’t make the difference in the second half.
In fact, it was almost the 16th-place Independence that found a winner, with two solid chances in the final moments of the game. A game-saving interception by Ken Tribbett prevented veteran striker Jorge Herrera from getting on the end of a Niki Jackson pass for what would have been a sure tap-in.
This is the kind of game that Nashville will regret, particularly at home, but last year’s squad may have ultimately lost this contest rather than taking home a point. Capturing a draw from a losing position isn’t ideal, but it’s certainly better than some alternatives.
Nashville will try to get back on the right side of things with a midweek trip to Alabama to take on expansion side Birmingham Legion. Wednesday’s game kicks off at 7:00 p.m.
- 15′ CLT GOAL – 7 Dominic Oduro (right-footed), assisted by 19 Enzo Martinez (throughball)
- 23′ NSH GOAL – 10 Lebo Moloto (right footed, rebound)
- 45’+1 – Half time
- 46′ CLT Substitution – On 3 Hugh Roberts, off 47 Hassan Ndam
- 61′ NSH Substitution – On 3 Ropapa Mensah, off 19 Alan Winn
- 64′ CLT Substitution – On 9 Niki Jackson, off 21 Zyen Jones
- 72′ CLT Substitution – On 10 Jorge Herrera, off 7 Dominic Oduro
- 77′ NSH Yellow card – 2 Justin Davis (foul)
- 78′ NSH Substitution – On 21 Darnell King, off 11 Kharlton Belmar
- 85′ NSH Substitution – On 12 Tucker Hume, off 10 Lebo Moloto
- 90′ CLT Yellow card – 9 Niki Jackson (time wasting)
- 90’+3 Full time