NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A team that felt cursed in the first couple games of the year welcomed one of the Eastern Conference’s top clubs to Nissan Stadium and got that long-awaited first win of 2021. Nashville SC struck in the first half with a CJ Sapong dunk assisted by Walker Zimmerman and Dan Lovitz, then added the insurance goal from Alex Muyl after a New England turnover to take down the Revolution 2-0.
It looked like the Revs may have the chance to pull one back when video review was invoked after striker Adam Buksa went down in the box in the 87th minute, but the officials determined there was no contact from behind by Alistair Johnston, and there was no chance to go to the penalty spot.
Sapong’s 25th-minute goal was the culmination of a solid play from Lovitz, who picked out Walker Zimmerman at the back post and fired away from long range. The cross found the head of the centerback (who remained upfield after a set-piece opportunity), and he sent it back across the face of goal. Sapong was there to slide it home – and if he hadn’t been, fellow striker Dominique Badji may well have been able to finish it himself.
In the 75th, Nashville’s press began to give the Revolution some problems, and an errant pass from midfielder Matt Polster went directly to Muyl, who slotted to the bottom corner from outside the box. The 12,510 fans in attendance could certainly begin to feel that they were in store for the victory.
The win marks the first of the season for Nashville, with the Boys in Gold now sitting on six points after four games. The next outing will be the first roadtrip of the season, with Real Salt Lake looming. RSL is 2-0-1 and third in the West. The game kicks of art 8:30 p.m. CDT next Saturday.
- 25′ NSH GOAL – 17 CJ Sapong (right foot, sliding), assisted by 25 Walker Zimmerman (headed square pass) and 2 Dan Lovitz (cross to Zimmerman)
- 28′ NSH Yellow card – 2 Dan Lovitz (foul)
- 45’+2 Half time
- 57′ NE Yellow card – 24 DeJuan Jones (foul)
- 64′ NSH Substitution – On 99 Jhonder, off 9 Dominique Badji
- 64′ NE Substitutions:
- On 5 Wilfrid Kaptoum, off 24 DeJuan Jones
- On 15 Brandon Bye, off 23 Arnor Traustason
- On 10 Teal Bunbury, off 13 Lucas Maciel
- 72′ NSH Substitution – On 23 Taylor Washington, off 17 CJ Sapon
- 75′ NSH GOAL – 19 Alex Muyl (right footed, outside the box, after turnover)
- 76′ NE Substitutions:
- On 19 Edward Kizza, off 7 Gustavo Bou
- On 26 Tommy McNamara, off 8 Matt Polster
- 83′ NSH Substitutions:
- On 22 Matt LaGrassa, off 6 Dax McCarty
- On 3 Jalil Anibaba, off 2 Dan Lovitz
- 90’+3 NSH Yellow card – 20 Aníbal Godoy (foul)
- 90’+4 Full time