NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Things couldn’t have gotten off to a much worse start for Nashville SC. An eighth-minute throughball put Cincinnati midfielder Luciano Acosta in alone on Joe Willis, and the Argentine popped the ball past Willis before slotting home. FCC would add to its lead in the 12th when the other key offseason signing, striker Brenner, earned and then converted a penalty against Willis, who took the big Brazilian down attempting to clear after taking a heavy touch in the box.
FC Cincinnati scored multiple goals in just one road game all through the 2020 season. It took just 12 minutes in Nissan Stadium.
The Boys in Gold responded, but only managed enough to save the draw. Jhonder Cádiz tapped home a Randall Leal cross at the back post in the 20th minute, and Leal scored from distance in the 64th. They’ll be disappointed in a single point on the table after creating numerous chances throughout the second frame. Notably, centerback Dave Romney saw a header ring the crossbar, while Leal almost put a cross into the upper corner before the fingertips of Przemisław Tyton pushed it just wide.
Given the quantity – and quality – of chances created for the Boys in Gold, who put 13 of their 32 shooting attempts on-target, the future may be bright for an attack that was often too meager a season ago. Cádiz and winger Handwalla Bwana, who both joined the team midseason last year, showed brightly, as did off-season signing CJ Sapong.cOn the night, though, there will be disappointment in not turning that generation into conversion.
Nashville next hosts Montreal Impact next weekend at Nissan Stadium.
- 7′ CIN GOAL – 11 Luciano Acosta (right foot, after dribble), assisted by 18 Ronald Matarrita (throughball)
- 12′ CIN GOAL – 9 Brenner (right foot, penalty kick to lower left corner), penalty earned by Brenner (Willis)
- 18′ NSH Yellow Card – 19 Alex Muyl (foul)
- 20′ NSH GOAL – 99 Jhonder Cádiz (right foot, first touch), assisted by 8 Randall Leal (low cross)
- 38′ CIN Yellow Card – 15 Kamohelo Makotjo (foul)
- 45’+2 Half time
- 60′ NSH Substitutions:
- On 70 Handwalla Bwana, off 19 Alex Muyl
- On 17 CJ Sapong, off 99 Jhonder Cádiz
- 61′ CIN Substitutions:
- On 10 Jurgen Locadia, off 20 Calvin Harris
- On 33 Caleb Stanko, off 7 Yuya Kubo
- 64′ NSH GOAL – 8 Randall Leal (right-footed, from rebound outside the box, to upper left corner)
- 66′ NSH Yellow card – 12 Alistair Johnston (foul)
- 77′ CIN Yellow card – 33 Caleb Stanko (foul)
- 83′ CIN Substitution – On 8 Allan Cruz, off 31 Alvaro Barreal
- 90+3′ CIN Substitution – On 6 Haris Medunjanin, off 15 Kamohelo Makotjo
- 90’+6 Full time