Nashville SC held plenty of the ball against Saint Louis FC – the Boys in Gold had 63.9% possession – but couldn’t find that special moment, whereas Saint Louis FC managed to cash in on a late set piece to take down the hosts 1-0 in First Tennessee Park.
The teams traded blows throughout the match, with Nashville SC seeming to have much more time in the attacking third, but Saint Louis FC making the most of the time it did manage to push the ball into enemy territory. Despite that, the keepers may have been the teams’ respective men of the match until Calvert broke the deadlock. Matt Pickens made a first-half save on a headed attempt from Calvert in the first half, while STLFC keeper Jake Fenlason returned the favor after the break on a Matt LaGrassa header – the only shot on-goal for the Boys in Gold.
Both teams came out looking strong, and this could ultimately prove to be a matchup of two of the top sides in the Eastern Conference. For the time being, Saint Louis FC has the upper hand, and has earned a mantle atop the division.
- 32′ NSH Yellow card – 10 Lebo Moloto (foul)
- 45’+1 Half time
- 62′ STL Yellow Card – 3 Phanuel Kavita (time-wasting)
- 64′ NSH Substitution – On 17 Michael Reed, off 30 Bolu Akinyode
- 69′ STL Substitution – On Kadeem Dacres, off 9 Russell Cicerone
- 71′ STL Yellow card – 17 Oscar Umar (persistent infringement)
- 75′ STL Substitution – On 12 Guy Abend, off 17 Oscar Umar
- 83′ NSH Substitution – On 3 Ropapa Mensah, off 11 Kharlton Belmar
- 84′ STL GOAL – 18 Caleb Calvert (headed), assisted by 11 Joaquin Rivas (free kick)
- 87′ STL Substitution – On 15 Sean Reynolds, off 10 Albert Dikwa
- 88′ NSH Substitution – On 12 Tucker Hume, off 20 Matt LaGrassa