NASHVILLE – Through one half, it looked like Nashville SC would easily cruise to victory over PDL side Mississippi Brilla FC. That didn’t turn out to be the case – Mississippi Brilla would pull one back to turn a 2-0 lead into a 2-1 nailbiter – but nonetheless, the Boys in Gold took home victory, with Robin Shroot putting a 91st-minute exclamation point on the proceedings for a 3-1 Open Cup win.
New signing Brandon Allen opened the scoring in the 19th minute. Fellow striker Tucker Hume ripped the ball off the foot of a Brilla player and worked his way into the box, crossing to the former Bethlehem Steel man, who easily opened his account for the Boys in Gold.
While Allen would have a penalty saved in the 25th minute, centerback London Woodberry – in his second game back from injury – would double the lead in the 30th on a free kick strike from 25 yards with his right foot.
Substitutions at the half gave Mississippi Brilla a bit of life, and Napo Matsoso would head home the Magnolia Boys (this is a nickname I made up)’s pullback goal in the 59th minute.
Multiple substitutions for Nashville were mostly intended to see out the 2-1 win, but 85th-minute sub Ropapa Mensah assisted Robin Shroot on a round-the-keeper slot-home in the 91st, and Nashville SC is on to the fourth round of the US Open Cup. They’ll find out the opponent (likely Atlanta United) in tomorrow’s official draw.
The next competitive match is this Saturday, when the Boys in Gold travel to Charleston, S.C. to take on USL East Rivals Charleston Battery. The return to regular-season action kicks off at 6 p.m. Central (7 local).
- 19′ NSH GOAL – 32 Brandon Allen (left foot), assisted by 12 tucker Hume
- 25′ NSH Penalty saved – 32 Brandon Allen by MIS 1 Jordan Bell (PK earned by 8 Robin Shroot)
- 30′ NSH GOAL – 28 London Woodberry (right foot free kick, earned by Hume)
- 32′ MIS Substitution – On 12 Oliver Brock, off 5 Jeremy Fricker
- 45’+1 – Half-time
- 46′ MIS Substitutions – on 16 Rich Bryan and 7 Javen Palmer on, 16 Georgios Charkoutsakis and 9 Ali Brador off
- 50′ MIS Yellow card – 17 Kaelon Fox
- 52′ NSH Yellow card – 5 Liam Doyle
- 59′ MIS GOAL – 11 Napo Matsoso (headed), assisted by 13 Christian Kirchhoff
- 62′ NSH Substitutions – On 11 Ish Jome and 20 Matt LaGrassa on, 32 Brandon Allen and 2 Justin Davis off
- 85′ NSH Substitution – On 3 Ropapa Mensah, off 12 Tucker Hume
- 91′ NSH GOAL – 8 Robin Shroot (left foot), assisted by 3 Ropapa Mensah