NASHVILLE – This was billed as a battle of David v. Goliath, and of one team with plenty of bad blood trying to take down the one with more talent and an MLS future on the way. Evidently, what makes the David-Goliath upsets so exciting is that Goliath usually wins, and that’s what happened tonight.
Tucker Hume put up a brace, scoring in the 19th and 89th minutes to help Nashville SC take the derby victory over Inter Nashville FC in the teams’ first-ever meeting. With the victory, Nashville SC advances out of the second round of the US Open Cup. They’ll take on Mississippi Brilla FC – another NPSL team, which advances on the back of a 1-0 upset over Indy Eleven in a game that follow the Cinderella script a little more closely – in the third round next Wednesday at Vanderbilt Soccer and Lacrosse Stadium.
Given the storylines headed into the game – including several inter Nashville FC players who were members of previous incarnations of Nashville SC, or who tried out for the USL side and failed to make the squad – there should be no surprise it was a testy one. Josh Hughes was carded for Nashville SC in the 14th minute for a professional foul, and Inter Nashville FC followed with yellow cards of its own by David Brookes, Felix Obilo, and in the 90th minute, striker Chuka Aruh. With a contentious atmosphere that extended beyond just the fair play between the lines, there were times at which rage was close to bubbling over and more cards could have resulted following shoving matches (including Nashville SC midfielder Matt LaGrassa pushing Obilo to the turf after his foul on LaGrassa earned a yellow).
Inter Nashville SC, a fourth-division club, acquitted itself well against the Boys in Gold, though. Plenty of crosses were barely left wanting by the finishing on the end, and there were chances to tie the game throughout the contest.
After a rain delay early in the second half, it was the class of the USL side – which played a stronger lineup than expected with 6 regular starters and three more contributors to begin the game – that was the difference. Hume rounded the keeper for his first goal, and slid left-footed onto service for the second, and that was all it took to send Nashville SC into the third round, where they’ll take on Brilla at Vandy Soccer Stadium next Wednesday.
- 14′ NSC Yellow Card – 6 Josh Hughes (foul)
- 19′ NSC GOAL – 12 Tucker Hume from 8 Robin Shroot (right footed shot)
- 20′ INFC Yellow card – 5 Felix Obilo (foul)
- 38′ INFC Yellow card – 3 David Brookes (foul)
- 45+2 Half time
- 46′ INFC substitution – On 16 Rafael Medina, off 15 Daniel Sassano
- 55′ NSC double substitution – On 28 London Woodberry, off 2 Justin Davis; on 3 Ropapa Mensah, off 16 Alan Winn
- 65′ INFC substitution – On 21 Michael Jones, off 20 Cristian Gomez
- 69′ NSC substitution – On 4 Ramone Howell, off 20 Matt LaGrassa
- 77′ INFC substitution – On 11 Leonardo Ferreria, off 7 Greg Warden
- 89′ NSC GOAL – 12 Tucker Hume from 8 Robin Shroot
- 90′ INFC Yellow card – 17 Chuka Aruh – foul
- 90+1 full-time