(I am so, so sorry).
NASHVILLE – At this stage in the season, the early struggles to score will be easily forgiven for Nashville SC. The Boys in Gold didn’t exactly light up the scoreboard Saturday, but Alan Winn got the team on the right side of the ledger in the 24th minute, and the squad never looked back en route to a 2-0 victory.
Nashville dominated the first half, then gave up a couple half-chances going into the break.
The second frame was far more even, with both sides having their fair share of chances. Charlotte’s best opportunity, though, was snuffed out by goalkeeper Matt Pickens, whose diving save of a Jorge Herrera free kick helped keep the Colombian playmaker from scoring for the first time in four games this season (and of course, his team suffered its only shutout thus far in 2018, as well). Pickens is likely due for some SportsCenter highlights for his performance.
Winn was deservedly the Man of the Match, with his danger up the right side – and late in the contest, on the left of midfield, as well – changing the game for the second time in as many weeks. By the time substitute striker Ropapa Mensah tacked on the second run-of-play goal for NSC this year a minute into second-half stoppage time, the game was well in hand. It staved off what had been a comeback attempt from Charlotte that moved in fits and starts throughout the second 45 minutes.
7,487 screaming Nashville fans witnessed a triple-dose of history, with the team’s first home win, first run-of-play goal, and first multi-goal outing in club regular-season history. They also witnessed Charlotte fail to earn a result, something the previous league leaders had yet to do this year.
Nashville SC is up to fifth in the USL’s Eastern Conference standings, and next travels to No. 7 Indy Eleven. Saturday’s kickoff is slated for an 11 a.m. Central kickoff (Noon local).
- 12’ CLT Yellow card – 3 Bilal Duckett
- 24’ NSH GOAL – 19 Alan Winn from 27 Kosuke Kimura
- 45’+3 – Half time
- 46’ CLT sub – On 8 Kay Voser, Off Yann Ekra
- 67’ NSH sub – On 20 Matt LaGrassa, Off 23 Taylor Washington (inj.)
- 77’ NSH sub – On 3 Ropapa Mensah, Off 9 Michael Cox.
- 79′ CLT sub – On 4 Jake Areman, Off 31 Samuel Vines
- 85′ CLT sub – On 20 Ricardo Perez, Off 25 Henry Kalungi
- 87′ NSH sub – On 11 David Edagr, Off 10 Lebo Moloto
- 89′ CLT Yellow card – 22 Joel Johnson
- 90’+1 NSH GOAL – 3 Ropapa Mensah from 18 Matt Pickens
- 90’+3 – Full time