Nashville SC’s absurdly-long (checks notes) two-game streak without a win has, at long last, come to an end. The Boys in Gold made the three-hour trip to Kennessaw, Ga. this evening, and will return to Music City with a 2-0 win. It wasn’t necessarily the most convincing result, with NSC benefitting from a fourth-minute own goal before adding an 11th-minute tally from Matt LaGrassa – and making that scoreline stand – but what matters is the final margin, and that went in NSC’s favor.
A talented-yet-unpolished Baby ?Five Stripes team lived up (and down) to its reputation, with midfielder Will Vint’s own goal far from the only mistake. However, ATL UTD 2 created plenty of dangerous moments – including a stoppage-time goal that was called back after barely being ruled offside – and Nashville SC was tested when it came to making sure their own scoring output would be enough to take the victory.
After giving up a 2-0 lead last weekend against the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Nashville will be extremely happy to hold on this evening – thanks in part to a 76th-minute Atlanta red card (defender George Campbell made a reckless tackle on Nashville’s Michael Reed, perhaps a harsh red, though certainly a cardable offense) that allowed the Boys in Gold to close out against a 10-man side.
With the victory, Nashville moves into sixth position in the Eastern Conference, after having taken on three of the five teams ahead of them in the standings. They’ll take on a fourth this Wednesday, hosting Tampa Bay Rowdies in First Tennessee Park in the USL Championship Game of the Week, with an opportunity to – at least briefly – jump into a tie for second position in the East.
- 4′ NSH GOAL – ATL own goal – 4 Will Vint (attempted backpass)
- 11′ NSH GOAL – 20 Matt LaGrassa, unassisted (left foot, rebound outside the box)
- 18′ ATL Yellow card – 4 Will Vint (foul)
- 20′ ATL Yellow card – 20 Jackson Conway (foul)
- 34′ Lightning delay
- 45+3 Half time
- 46′ ATL Substitutions
- On 29 Bienvenue Kanakimana, off 8 Kevin Barajas
- On 31 Anderson Asiedu, off 36 Will Vint
- 59′ NSH Yellow card – 14 Daniel Ríos (foul)
- 67′ NSH Yellow card – 22 Bradley Bourgeois (handball)
- 69′ nice ATL Substitution – On 10 Yosef Samuel, off 16 Alessandro Castro
- 76′ ATL RED CARD – 37 George Campbell (foul)
- 82′ NSH Substitution – On 10 Lebo Moloto, off 17 Michael Reed
- 84′ NSH Substitution – On 3 Ropapa Mensah, off 11 Kharlton Belmar
- 90′ NSH Substitution – On 19 Alan Winn, off 14 Daniel Ríos
- 90’+2 NSH Yellow card – 30 Bolu Akinyode (foul)
- 90’+5 Full time