NASHVILLE – Nashville SC started steady, then succumbed to the high-powered lineup of New York City FC in a 2-0 friendly loss at First Tennessee Park this evening.
The visitors struck on a 28th-minute penalty kick (following a handball in the box by NSC winger Kharlton Belmar) and a 40th-minute blast from just outside the top of the 18-yard box. It should come as no surprise that two of their designated players, Maxi Moralez and Alexandru Mitriță, scored the respective goals.
After the break, the teams played mostly listless ball, with just a few chances on the goal until late in the contest. Mass substitutions for Nashville in the 62nd minute were countered by a steady stream of City substitutions over the course of the second frame, with backup Nashville keeper Connor Sparrow saving a free kick in the 64th for one of Nashville’s highlights.
The Boys in Gold had chances in the 49th (a Kharlton Belmar cross couldn’t be settled by Alan Winn, and Winn’s lay-off was hit high and wide by Michael Reed), 73rd (a shot from outside the box by new signing Vinnie Vermeer), and 87th (a Lebo Moloto cross found the head of Tucker Hume, but he nodded it high). The best, though, was in the 89th, when Ropapa Mensah received a through-ball from Daniel Ríos and his one-on-one attempt to chip keeper Sean Johnson went high.
Nashville will have to wait until another day to score in front of the home crowd.
- 28′ NYC GOAL – 10 Maxi Moralez (right-footed penalty kick, penalty due to handball by Kharlton Belmar in the area).
- 36′ NSH Yellow card – 30 Bolu Akinyode (foul)
- 40′ NYC GOAL – 28 Alexandru Mitriță (right-footed), no assist.
- 45′ Half time
- 46′ NSH Substitution – On 24 Daniel Ríos, off 30 Bolu Akinyode
- 59′ NYC Substitution – On 11 Valentin Castellanos, off 17 Jonathan Lewis
- 62′ NSH Substitutions:
- On 24 Connor Sparrow, off 18 Matt Pickens
- On 2 Justin Davis, off 23 Taylor Washington
- On 22 Bradley Bourgeois, off 6 Ken Tribbett
- On 21 Darnell King, off 27 Kosuke Kimura
- On 8 Vinnie Vermeer, off 17 Michael Reed
- On 10 Lebo Moloto, off 9 Cameron Lancaster
- On 12 Tucker Hume, off 11 Kharlton Belmar
- On 3 Ropapa Mensah, off 19 Alan Winn
- 68′ NYC Substitution – On 33 Sebastien Ibeagha, off 6 Alexander Callens
- 74′ NYC Substitution – On 15 Tony Rocha, off 2 Ben Sweat
- 77′ NYC Substitutions:
- On 16 James Sands, Off 28 Alexandru Mitriță
- On 29 Ismael Tajouri-Shradi, off 19 Jesus Medina
- 83′ NYC Substitution – On 25 Joe Scally, off 3 Anton Tinnerholm
- 83′ NSH Substitution – On 61 Genki Miyachi, off 20 Matt LaGrassa
- 90’+2 Full time